1. Security. While the cat’s away, the mice will play. But forget about the mice, you need to be worried about someone breaking into your apartment. If you’re friends with the neighbors of your Fond du Lac apartment, and they know your schedule and habits, maybe they’ll think to call the police if something seems amiss.
2. Greater patience so they don’t call the police. Hey, let’s have a party! Sometimes, parties can get out of hand, but if you’re friends with the neighbors, maybe they’ll be patient and you won’t wind up entertaining the boys in blue.
3. Better health. Recent research shows that well-being is greater for those that have regular contact with their neighbors, even if the contact is limited to just saying hello. That contact leads to a better sense of security and happiness.
4. You never know who you might meet. You’re single. They’re single. And gorgeous. See where this could go?
So now that you’re sold on the benefits, how do you go about it?
1. Show your teeth. A smile can brighten up someone’s whole day. Maybe they’ll even smile back at you.
2. Share some coupons. Maybe you don’t need that coupon for ten cents off of a case of Jello, but maybe your neighbor would appreciate it.
3. Bake some cupcakes. Would it really be that much more trouble to make a little bigger batch so that there would be some to share?
4. Help them move in. Now you’re really going to be their hero.
5. Offer to water their plants or feed their cat while they’re gone. Maybe they’ll do the same for you.
6. Help jump start their car. What do you think that big red “S” is for on your chest for anyway?
7. Give them a lift to work. Because the jump start didn’t work.
8. Offer to run an errand. You were going to the store anyway
9. Start the apartment community welcome committee. Really, it’s just all of the above in coordination with your property manager so that you know who’s moving in where and when.