This time, we’re going to boldly go where no apartment blog has ever gone before. We’re going to talk about how to maintain your sobriety when travelling.
We’re not talking 12 steps program here. If that’s your problem, that’s way beyond the scope of this blog. But how about if you’re on the road and you’re trying to lose weight or you’ve decided for any other good reason to limit or even cut out the booze? And what if your destination is New Orleans, Las Vegas or any other place or situation that goes hand in hand with a few drinks or even more than a few drinks?
Here are some solutions:
- Plan ahead. Know where the pitfalls are likely to be. If you’re in Vegas and you decide to go to the Hoover Dam, that’s a different set of temptations than sitting in a casino.
- Plan ahead Part 2. Have a partner. Have a predetermined system for knowing when things are fine, getting close to not fine and let’s get out of here now!
- Plan an escape route. Think of how you are going to gracefully exit situations before you enter them. Think of how to excuse yourself from the cocktail party early before things get wiggy. Keep your own key to the place you are staying so that you’re not depending or having to wait on anyone else when it’s time to go.
- Plan a substitute. Think snacks or non-alcoholic beverages instead.
- Plan to just say no. About 45% of people do not drink at all. Of those that do drink, plenty only drink on special occasions. Not drinking is completely normal, don’t be pressured into anything.